Saturday, June 21, 2008

SHAKEDOWN

Before I go into the mix contents, let me remind the readers that I am 100000% about supporting the artist. This isn't a shitty download blog where you can get a rapidshare link to the entire album. It is my hope to help spread information about hard to find releases and more out of print stuff. I realize some people make their living off of their music so I urge you to go out and buy these releases on vinyl. These mp3's are mixed down from vinyl and probably don't have the most amazing sound quality, anyway.

Okay, so now onto the tunes. This is the SHAKEDOWN MIX - CLICK TO DOWNLOAD

Sixtoo & Matth - webeganhearingthings
-I think Bully was definitely one of the pioneers in doing all non-punk 7" releases. Silk-screened covers and relevant artists make for an awesome label. This one's a creepy tune with a creepy title from "He Did Glass Music". The intro is a somber guitar which then has strings added and finally the drums pop in out of nowhere. Some of my favorite sample-based music.

Monosov Swirnoff - #5
-Drony film score sounding music employing a piano and harmonica. 1 in a series of I don't know how many. These guys also have a rock project in addition to the rest of this series. It effectively sets the mood for walking into a murder scene. The rest of this album, Seven Recorded Works is more of the same.

Aluk Todolo - 5:55
-This isn't a Charolette Gainsbourg cover. It's cleverly disguised black metal dudes playing noisy Kraut-rock with an occult edge to it. This is from their debut 7" on implied sound and is fairly easy to track down for now. They also have an album called Descension that is just as awesome. Featuring members of techno-black metal (eh? are you serious?) outfit Blacklodge.

Birds of Decay - Sun Pillars 2
-Another entry in the Bored Fortress series. Drone in the key of C with lots of layers. Has an orchestral feel to it.

Blank Blue (Nobody) - Faces
-This came out a few months ago. Nobody is the producer who's done more standard hip-hop like on "Earthtones" and is veering towards the psychedelic. Word has it he's down with the Mars Volta who I hate, but it totally makes sense. The album is titled Western Water Music volume 2. It differs from the first volume in that there is one vocalist throughout the album, Niki Randa, who sings in a glossy lilt most of the album. The production is similar though a little more polished and incoporative of more guitar riffs. This song is a slight departure from the album it is on as it's a little darker and features some more boom-bappy drumbreak work. I hope this will be in your rotation like it is mine.

Cocteau Twins - Pink Orange Red
-I don't love Cocteau Twins, but I love this song. It's off their earlier album, Lullabies to Violaine. Shoegazer classic. Amazing vocals with nonsensically sad lyrics. Probably one of my favorite Cocteau Twins songs ever.

Labwaste - I Don't Go Out
-What was this type of music called? Future du gangster? It fits. Featuring a super dramatic club banger of a beat with stuttery drums and repetitive loops. These guys are such dorks talking about their anti-social activities. "I'm not a socialite." Yup. Can't wait for a full length. Sweet picture disc from a team-up of two up and coming labels. If you haven't heard Zwarte Achtegronde, go find that. It's their first album.

EC8OR - Cocaine Ducks
-It's hard to imagine this was released in 1995 because it's so futuristically kitschy with it's blown out Alec Empire production and screechy vocals (from one of the members of Cobra Killer). This song goes on a tirade against the club party scene. It's fierce. I hope to one day play it at a rave with bombed out rave bunnies and fools with triangle pants dancing in foam doing 3-way make outs. If only I can hijack the DJ booth.

Libyans - Higher Standards
-I saw the lead vocalist, Liz, today at Harrel's. Apparently they practice somewhere in my neighborhood. Higher Standard is a blazer of a track. Thrash hardcore punk, raw and uncut. Find em on myspace if you like em...they're going on an East Coast tour soon.

Subtle - Long Vein of the Law
-I have followed Dose one since Hemispheres. Well that's sort of a lie. I stopped listening to his stuff when they dropped the Themselves "The No Music" album. I just couldn't understand Dose's progression from weirdo rap hero to...no use in classifying. But he's a genius. I have admittingly slept on Subtle, a fantastic prog electronic band featuring old time collaborator Jel. Rap is rapidfire and the content I won't even try to cliff notes for you. The tone is a little heavier than alot of the stuff on the album this is from, "A New White." Said album, by the way, is part one of a three part concept album trilogy. Go find them all.

The Workshop - Teenage Rollercoaster
-I don't know very much about this German band except that they like Can and have been around for a little while, now. I found three of their LP's at a thrift store and they looked shiny and unplayed so I picked them up. I'm glad I did. It's pretty creative. And a little funky.

Vrolok - Inverse Devotion
-I like this band alot as far as black metal bands go because they have a progressive and experimental side to them that works really really well. I wish they would press their most recent album "Divine Abortion" onto vinyl. For now I'll settle for this, a picture disc collaboration with "blackened noise" guy Emit. "Inverse Devotion" opens up with a Gregorian chant in reverse and then pounds you to death with lo-fi not by the books black metal. Sounds similar to no one really but I can tell these guys dig early Bathory. Record label this is on? Christcrusher of course.

Zu - Observing Armies on the Battlefield
-Italian prog free jazz core. Saxaphone and heavy distorted bass lines with clobbering drums that go from bludgeon to free jazz freak-out. I like. From their picture disc 7" on Implied Sound.

Dalek - Streets All Amped
-From the hard to find split with Oddatee. Dalek the way you like it, heavy beats, and Dalek's accusatory stylings. He should get the witchfinder award for his vitriol and pissed off demeanor. I like angry rappers who talk shit on college graduates.

Iron Lung - Medic
-Third wave powerviolence. I'm glad to know these guys. They somewhat recently released their long anticipated Prank records debut "Sexless/No Sex". This song leaves you with a sense of closure more than some of their tracks. Blast beats and a mid tempo in between part. In some ways it's good, but it doesn't leaving you craving more like their earlier work (check their discography on Fuck Yoga records). It's still just as furious though.

Pissed Jeans - Love Clown
-Equal parts Black Flag and Jesus Lizard. Heavy hardcore. On Sub Pop no less. Really pathetic vocals that makes you pity the dude. Which is why it totally works.

Smyglyssna - We Can Fake It
-Sort of in the Autechre school of music, Smyglyssna is one dude with a mission to out-bleep the competition. Very busy electronic stylings, constantly shifting yet retaining their overall dimension. On Vertical Form records with an accompanying remix album. "We Can Fix It" is the name of that album you should find.

Santo Gold - Creator
-I was just about to leave the store and this caught my eye. Listening station was available. This track bounced its way into my heart immediately. Similar to MIA in terms of delivery, but definitely Santo Gold has her own flavor (just listen to her screeching on the beginning. I think I'm in love...). I think she's working with the same people MIA did which should draw even more similarities, but I might be wrong.

1 comment:

joxpesock said...

oi.........oi.........
visit me at joxpesock.blogspot.com